Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Graduation and Author's Tea

This has been a busy week for us. Michael had an “Authors’ Tea” yesterday and Matthew had his Kindergarten Graduation this morning. I was able to sneak out of work to attend both events. I was planning on skipping the Tea, but felt horrible about the decision so I re-prioritized and made time for it. I’m so glad I did. I can tell it meant a lot to Michael that I was there. He was so proud to show me his “All About Me” book that he wrote. He would have been the only kid whose parent didn’t show up and I would have felt awful.

This was a big day for Matthew! My little man is now officially a first grader! I didn’t expect graduation to be a big deal, but they sure put on a show. I loved watching him sing with the rest of the Kindergartners. He was so cute that I can eat him up with a spoon! He knew all the words to the songs, did all the moves correctly, and was animated. So different from his brother. Michael never usually participated in any song and dance because he’s so shy. After the songs, each teacher went up and said a few things about her kiddos and then called them up for a hug and the “diploma.”

I don’t know whether it’s the hormones or what, but I have to admit, I did cry a little to see my little man up on stage poised to take on the world. OK, maybe it wasn’t just the hormones. I cried when Michael finished up his Kindergarten year too, but whatever…At the end of the ceremony, one of the teachers read this poem.

“I give you back your child; the same child you confidently entrusted to my care last fall. I give you your child back pounds heavier, inches taller, months wiser, more responsible, and more mature than before. Although your child would have attained this growth in spite of me, it has been my happy privilege to watch this personality unfold day by day and marvel at this splendid miracle of development. I have thrilled at each new achievement, each new success, and each new expansion of self. I give your child back reluctantly; for having spent nine months together in the narrow confines of a classroom, we have grown close. We have become a part of each other, and we shall always retain a little of the other.”

I thought it was so sweet and it made me cry again. Those darn hormones!

Getting a hug from Ms. Sheffield

Getting his "diploma"

Singing his little heart out
Matthew with Ms. Sutherland and Ms Sheffield

"The Boys"

Happy Boy with Grandpa and Jennie

Shooting the breeze with Sky after teh ceremony

This was the best picture I could get of us

Tomorrow, we find out if Nugget is a he or a she. I’m so excited! I can’t wait to start buying stuff for the nursery. I will be honest and say that I’m really hoping for a girl and I will be disappointed for a little bit if it’s not, but I know I will be in love whether it’s a boy or a girl. My first and foremost wish is for a healthy baby and healthy pregnancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment