Monday, April 27, 2009

What's In a Name?

What does Spot, Hotdog-Hotdog, and Turtwig have in common? They are all pet goldfish to Michael and Matthew. Yes, these are really their names. We tried to talk Michael out of Hotdog-Hotdog, but he had the name picked out even before we picked up the goldfish so there was not way he was giving that up.

And yes, we have added a couple more goldfish to our tank. I took the boys to the pet store to pick out a friend for Spot (the Carnival goldfish). My intention was to let Matthew pick out one goldfish, but they were like 27 cents each at Petco so we ended up getting 2 more friends for Spot.

This was the first time the boys ever set foot in a pet store. They were very excited to see the different kinds of fish available. Michael wanted to pick out a black catfish. Really, I don’t remember what kind of fish it was, but it looked like a mini catfish with whiskers and all. I thought it looked kind of cool until I saw that it was $5. I’m sorry I can’t pay 5 bucks for 2 ounces of fish that I can’t even fry up. I told him that the catfish will eat Spot, so we needed to go back to the “Common Goldfish” tank. After much discussion, both brothers decided on a white goldfish with an orange stripe on its head, and an orange goldfish with white spots. I’m hoping that the $.54 cents will last us more than a month before they go to “Porcelain Heaven.”

1 comment: