Tuesday, December 23, 2014

NYC 2014

M and I took a trip to NYC without the kiddos for 6 fun-filled days!  It was a fun trip for just the two of us and boys am I tired. I need a vacation form this vacation. We did a lot of walking, sight-seeing and subway-riding.  You know, all the typical tourist-y things.

We arrived in the Big Apple Tuesday afternoon and checked into the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel.  It was very historic and elegant, but it's seen some better days.  As much I wanted to love the hotel, it was just dated and old. Thankfully, we only booked one night there.

This was a clock in the lobby from the World Expo in 1839.  It's pretty neat to see.

After we checked in, we went and got ready to go down for dinner.  We stopped at the hotel lobby for drinks before we left for the AquaGrill.

After dinner, we walked around Rockefeller Center.  It started to rain so we had to buy a couple of umbrellas from a street vendor!

Then we stopped by Magnolia Bakery for a couple of cupcakes.  It was not as impressive as I thought it would be.  They looked really pretty though.

The next morning, we met up with my college roommate and had breakfast. It was really good to see her and catch up.  W're planning an all-girls trip for sometime this year! 

After breakfast, we walked back to the Waldorf, checked out and took a taxi to The Ritz-Carleton. Then we walked across the street to Central Park.

We took the subway to the Museum of of Natural History. I had to take a picture of the Musk Ox because Michael did a report on them.

This is the Roosevelt Rotunda.  It was pretty impressive.

We came home, rested a little and went to dinner at Gotham Grill.  It was excellent. Then to was off to see a show called "A Delicate Balance" with Glen Close and John Lithgow.  It was not a great show.

This was our view of Central Park from our room. Not too shabby.

On Thursday morning, we got up bright and early and headed off to the Empire State Building.  we went up to the 86th floor to the Observatory.  The view was amazing but it so windy that it freaked me out a little.  OK, it freaked me out a lot.

If I looked a little anxious in this picture, I was.  I was ready to get back down at this point.

The view from the top of the Empire State Building looking south. You can see the new World Trade Building on the tip.

Next, we were off to Battery Park to catch our ferry to the Statue of Liberty.  It was so cold, so we weren't there for very long.  We skipped Ellis Island because it was so cold and we were so tired at this point.

On Friday morning we went and visited what they all "Top of the Rock," which is 62 stories up to the top of the Rockefeller Building.  I was not as nervous here because it was not as windy!

On one side, we got a great view of the Empire State Building.

One the other side, we have a view beautiful of Central Park!

One of my must do was to visit the 9/11 Memorial so we trekked over to the Financial District and did just that. I had a definite heavy moment. There were so many names and so many lives.  I kept thinking, these people were just going about their day like we are now not knowing what was ahead of them.  Like us, walking around, not knowing that in an instant things could change.

This was the place where tragedy happened.  This was the place I watched in horror as desperation took over and people jumped 50+ stories to try to escape what was happening inside the burning buildings.

After the Memorial, we went and had lunch at a tiny Shabu-Shabu restaurant in East village. So good.   As we were walking, we came across Grace Church.  This is one of the most beautiful churches I have seen.

Then we spent the afternoon at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  It was huge and I could have spent 2 days exploring.  But we only spent a couple hours there because M was getting tired.  We discovered that if we wanted to live here in the Upper East Side, we would have to spend about $22 millions dollars on a house.  Ha-ha.  Our cab driver said that in addition to that, we would probably have to spend $3000 a month for parking. It's safe to say that we won't be moving to the Upper East Side any time soon.

I found this little sculpture of a Fisher Boy...

M was fascinated with the Armor exhibit. I thought it was pretty cool too.  Some of the armors weighted more than 80 pounds! Can you imagine wearing that and having to fight in it?

Just a random subway map.

They next morning we went and had brunch with Claudine at ABC Kitchen.  There's a store attached to the restaurant with really cool stuff.  It was like a super-sized Anthropologie.

We had a couple of hours before we had to go see another broadway show so we walked back to Chelsea via Highline Park to see Claudine's new apartment - she just literally moved in on Monday before we arrived...

Highline Park was a thin strip of park built on an old above ground railway line. In this picture, you can see New Jersey across the waters.

Then we went and saw a show called, "This Is Your Youth."  It was an entertaining show. We had dinner at Marea that night and had such a good time.

On our last morning there, we met up with Claudine again at the MoMa.  This was M's favorite museum and I would have to agree with him.  We were only able to spend an hour there because we had brunch reservation in Hell's Kitchen at 44 & X.

We went to brunch - it was so crowded and then went back to the hotel to check out and head over to the airport.  I understand why people Heart New York.  It's such a vibrant place and I hope we can go back sometime soon!

Pictures of our last morning in Central Park

No comments:

Post a Comment