Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Our Love Story; LINK-UP

With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, I thought it would be fun to link up with From Mrs. to Mama for “What’s Your Love Story.” It would be nice for the kiddos to have this story when they are older to appreciate the journey their Momma and Daddy took before they were born.

How long have you and your significant other been together?
We’ve been together a little over 12 years. Our first date was on May 22, 1999.

How did you meet? {What’s your “love” story?}
We met online (match.com) when online dating was in its infancy. No fancy profile matching or anything like that had been developed yet. It was like “here are some people with your criteria-good luck!” I wasn’t really looking for love when I went to match.com-just a free dinner. Ha-ha…Just kidding. It was really for research for a group project in one of my marketing classes. I believe the project was to research and present how technology changed the way people do things and our group decided to research on how the Internet changed to way people dated.

I started a profile and before I knew it, M was calling me for a date. I said OK, being young and having no fear, decided to have him pick me up from my house (I lived with 8 other girls) for our first date. He took me to Il Fornio in the Sainte Claire Hotel in San Jose. It was very fancy for a college girl at the time. Very impressive. The we went to see a movie nearby –forgot the name of the theater, but I don’t think It’s even there anymore. We say “Entrapment” with Sean Connery and Catherine Zeta-Jones.

Where it all started....

If married, how long have you been married?
We’ve been married for over 10 years. Our 11th anniversary is September 8.

If you are married, where did you get married? Big or small wedding?
We had 2 weddings-a traditional Chinese wedding and an “American” wedding. The Chinese wedding was huge! We had over 500 people at the reception at Dynasty restaurant and it lasted all day and early into the next morning. We had people from all over the United States and some from overseas. It was amazing. Our American wedding was just as amazing but so much smaller. We had a little over 50 guests. The ceremony and reception was at the Elizabeth Gamble Gardens in Palo Alto. I remember the day as being beautiful with perfect weather.

Do you have any nick-names that you call one another? Do share!
Not really anything interesting. We call each other “Honey.” He calls me “Wifey” sometimes.

Is he a flowers and teddy bear kind of guy for v-day, or strawberries, champagne, and rose petals? Neither.

Are you a sunset dinner on the beach kind of girl, or pop a movie in and relax on the couch?
I use to be a dinner on the beach kind of girl when I was younger. Now, I’m more of the pop in a movie and relax on the couch girl.

Name 3 things you love most about your honey.
He makes me laugh. We laugh all the time. He works really hard to give us the things we need and want, and I love the way he loves us. I love that he’s such a wonderful father and does whatever it takes to make our boys happy. I guess that’s more than 3 things….

Tell us how he proposed?
In the bathtub on a Thursday night. His friend told me later that he told M to plan something in the City for the weekend, but M just couldn’t wait.

Tell us one thing you’d like to do with your significant other one day. If you could do anything? Go anywhere?
We love to travel so it would be related to that. I would love to take him to visit Cambodia where I was born. To show him my past and where I came from would be something special.

We’ve been fortunate to have been able to travel to so many places already with just the 2 of us and also with the kiddos. We most recently spent 2 weeks in St. Thomas and St. John this past July with our children.

The Ritz Carleton on St. Thomas

Westin Resort in St. John

Having fun in St. Thomas

Tell us what you plan on doing on this Valentine’s Day
No plans yet. Not that I know of.

Are you asking for anything this Valentine’s day?
I haven’t asked for anything except for some flowers. We don’t do gifts on Valentine’s Day.

Give us one piece of advice of keeping a relationship strong and full of love.
I’ve learned that the fights and battles that seem so important to win at the time won’t matter at all in the grand scheme of things. Learn when to give each other space and when to intrude.

Show us a picture of what love means to you.
These boys are the loves of my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment