Friday, May 01, 2020

A "Normal" Day

Welcome to the first day of May. This is the month when it's super busy with all sorts of end of school activities and events, and sports. This year is obviously a lot different. However, we are starting to see things heading back toward real life. Restaurants will starting to open up again in a couple of days on  a very limited basis. I know things will eventually get back to normal.

I am actually enjoying this new normal that we are living now. The weekends are free and if I wanted to sit out in our backyard for a couple of hours, I have the time to do that. Normally, we are on some sort of time clock rushing from one thing to the next. 

Here's what our "normal" day looks like nowadays. This is a day in the life of us last Wednesday.

5:51 - Gotta get the morning cup of coffee going. While that's brewing, I put dishes away and clean up anything in the kitchen that didn't get done the night before.

When we renovated our kitchen, we put in 2 dishwashers. At the time, I thought it might have been overkill, but it turned out to be one of the best things we did. 

After I pour myself a cup of coffee, I remembered that I hadn't watered the flowers on my porch in a few days so I went to do that. I'm notorious for killing plants due to neglect. Got treated to a beautiful sunrise. 

6:30 - I head into my office to read and evaluate some SWC scholarship applications. I am on the scholarship committee for the Southlake Women's Club and The Southlake Women's Club Foundation so I get to read all about these super smart and inspiring kids' application and rank them. It's really hard because these kids are all exceptional. 

7:26 - This little guy woke up and wanted toaster strudel for breakfast.

7:45 - Time to set up for my CG virtual workout with some girlfriends. 

8:00 - 9:00 - It's peak week and the workouts are harder than normal. I may have taken an illegal break when we were suppose to be running. Being able to text my friends while we work out together makes this time more fun.

9:50 - Wake the older boys up (sometimes it takes 3-4 tries) after shower and getting dressed. I use the word getting dressed very loosely here.

I poured myself another cup of coffee and head back into my office to read a few more applications.

10:30 -  Time for schoolwork. We had a meltdown this morning over some sentence writing, but overall it was a good day. We even got some extra work done so he would have some free time on Friday.

The older boys don't have as much work as Mark does so I make Michael do 30 minutes of SAT Prep every school day. Other than schoolwork, they are left on their own. They play video games with their friends most days. I consider that necessary social interaction these days.

12:50 - Lunch for me, Mark and M. The two older boys come down to eat later. As I have my lunch, I'm looking for inspiration for dinner because the dreaded "what's for dinner?" question comes up 10 times a day.

1:45 - We head outdoors. Mark decided to swim.


6:45 -  Dinner! A simple meal of burgers and fries outside.

After cleaning up, watching a show or two with M, it's time to get ready for bed. I'm in bed by 9:20pm. Good night!











No comments:

Post a Comment