Wednesday, July 10, 2019

California Dreamin' Part One

We just got back from our trip to California to visit my family! It was a great trip as usual but like all trips, it feels really good to be home. I'm trying to get back to a routine which is not easy during the summer.

We started our trip off with lunch at the airport.


This guy wanted nothing to do with picture-taking.

Our flight there was not the greatest. We sat in front of a family with kids who were not good flyers. Both kids cried almost the whole trip and one of them got sick several times. I felt really bad for them, but at the same time, I felt bad for us too because it was a very loud plane ride. Mark was annoyed because he felt the parents were not doing anything to quiet their children.

Our first order of business of course was to get breakfast at O'Henry's Donuts the next morning with the cousins and the grandparents! 

We all hung out at my parents' house after and then all went to dinner at the local Italian restaurant. The atmosphere was amazing. We were seated out on the patio under a canopy of grapevines with grapes hanging down. It was beautiful, but the food was not great and the service was even worse. Maybe because we had a huge group?

I took about a million pictures and this was the best I got. Haha!





This guy and M got along great. He's got a huge personality!


This guy is a wrecking ball but so sweet! I love my Ben-Ben.


The next day, we left the kids with my parents and drove to Paso Robles for a long weekend to celebrate my cousin Felicia's big 40th. We met up with her and her husband Robert and another couple for a delicious dinner. We had such a fun time catching up and I forgot to have the waitress snap a picture.

Then on Friday, it was wine tasting time! Felicia hired a shuttle to take us to the different wineries in the area. I was very surprised at how pretty Paso Robles is. It is like a mini Napa. The wineries of course were smaller, but the feel of it was very close to the Napa area.

This group is ready to taste some wine!

Our first stop was Venteuax which is windy is French? The owner explained that it was named that because this is one of the windiest part of the area due to it's location in front of the Templeton Pass. Or something like that. Can't blame a girl for paying more attention to the wine.

So most of the vineyards in this area are "dry irrigation" vineyards. Because the water table is not very deep underneath the soil, the roots of the grapevines can get to the water so they don't need to be watered. 

Me and the birthday girl.

Me and the hubby. 



There was an intense game of corn hole going on. But I heard that there was dog poop on the lawn so I decided to park myself on a chair and sip wine instead. Safety first!


Our next stop was Rotta Winery. This was my least favorite because I wasn't really digging the wines but it was the prettiest. The property had these lavender bushes all over and it smelled heavenly.

I love this wooden swing. Note that M is missing in this picture. He was one a conference call the whole time we were here.

I can't remember the last winery we visited. I remember the wine was good though. Haha - The picture says we were at Brecon. These peeps were getting a little silly by then....

We had a nice little cheese and fruit picnic while we wine-tasted. After this we went to this little area with cute shops and a brewery and then dinner at Thomas Hill Organics to end our long day. It was a great day with great people.

Saturday morning, M and I went to grab some coffee and an acai bowl at this cute little place called The Neighborhood.



Then we met up with everybody at the house. We decided to go into town and just hang out, grab some lunch and wander around town.


We ordered take-out from Fish Gaucho and went home to eat before the Murder Mystery! By that time, people were in different states of mind. Haha! Some people had to take quick naps, including me, and then it was time to get into character and solve a murder mystery! The theme was New Orleans Masquerade party so we all wore masks.

The next morning, M and I got up early, grabbed some coffee and and headed back to my parents house. It was a great little vacation within a vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment