Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Last Day of July

What?! Already? Which means that there are 4 more weeks until school starts. July feels like it just flew by!

I think Mark hit his terrible twos last week. He'll be 21 months in a few days so I knew it was close, but it still caught me off guard.  He's into everything and when we tell him no, he throws huge tantrums or goes into full on sad meltdown mode.

He loves to pull every pot and pan out of the cabinets and pretend to cook.  He also wants every spatula and cooking utensils out.  Because he can't reach them, he whines until he gets a least a few from me.  His favorite word before last week was "yeah." Now his favorite word is "NO!" followed by a great big slamming of the hand on whatever surface he can reach.

He no longer wants to be fed - he wants to do it all himself and makes a huge mess.  He won't drink from a sippy cup.  He either wants a real cup or a cup with a straw. Sometimes he asks for water but won't drink it. He just wants to take a sip and spit it out all over the floor.

He's become belligerent and is knowingly defiant. Loves to make a mess and laughs when I reprimand him. He whines and throws a fit when he doesn't get what he wants.  He fights with his brothers. Screams "iPad!"incessantly until it is given to him.

I won't lie - this is a very challenging time and he wears me out. But, this is also my favorite age.  This is the age when he can start to understand cause and effect.  This is the time when I can see the lightbulb going off in his little head when he "gets" it.  Last weekend, M painted the door.  Yesterday, I see Mark with a spatula pretending to paint the door.  I asked him what he's doing.  He looks at me with a great big smile and said, "I paint" - clear as day.  I didn't even know he knew what "paint" means.  These little discoveries bring me so much joy and I look forward to so many more.



No comments:

Post a Comment