Monday, June 01, 2009

My "Roaring Reader"

Happy June! We had a great weekend. Michael had his first official sleepover at the neighbor’s. He’s had to sleepover before, but that was under emergency situation. This sleepover was for fun instead of because Mommy had to take Daddy the emergency room. M was quite sad walking Michael over to his first sleepover. No joking, he was a little bit teary-eyed when he got back from dropping Michael off. I’m glad I’m not the only one getting choked up every time he meets another “big boy’ milestone.

This morning, M and I attended another milestone event for Michael. He had his 1st award ceremony at school. Every child received an award based on what the teacher felt was their best subject. There were awards for Science, Art, Reading, Writing and Leadership. Michael got the “Roaring Reader” award. Then after the awards they played a slideshow that the Kindergarten teachers put together. It was a very nice ceremony.

I guess this is where I should say that I’m sad for him to grow up. And I am. But at the same time, I am excited for him to grow and experience new things. There are so many more things for him to learn and discover so it would be selfish of me to wish for time to stop.

I see him playing with his buddies and realize that his world is no longer just mommy and daddy. I see him getting high fives from his buddies as he’s going up to receive his award and it warms my heart to know that he has a circle of friends who will hopefully look out for each other as they grow up together. It warms my heart to see him having an animated conversation with classmates because it tells me that he’s got stories to share that are his stories. Mostly, it warms my heart to see him becoming his own person.

Michael & the rest of "Roaring Readers"

Michael and friend A.

Michael & Mrs. Newman

Michael & Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment