Thursday, May 17, 2012

Giving Up on Good: Being a PTO Mom

*I linked up today with Hayley (The Tiny Twig) and Jessi (Naptime Diaries) for their weekly series called Giving Up On Good.

I’m going to come out and say it – I’m not cut out to be a PTO mom. There are several reasons, but the biggest one is that I don’t have the time. I don’t have time to be at the school every day and make copies. I don’t have time to volunteer for every committee or organize the annual fundraisers. I wish I did, but I don’t and I have to come to grips with it.


I am just thankful for moms who do have the time and enjoy running the school PTO like a Fortune 500 company because the results benefit my children.

I tried to be a PTO mom this school year, and I think I was pretty successful. I volunteered to be the party co-coordinator and organized the several parties throughout the school year. I volunteered to bring food for the monthly teacher appreciation luncheon. I volunteered to chaperone field trips. Whenever there’s an event, I arrange my work schedule to be able to make it there to help out.

But boy, was it STRESSFUL! I’d like to think that I’m smart enough to know when enough is enough, but looking at my record of over-commitment, it doesn’t look like I’m very smart.

Maybe having it in writing will help?

1. I will not volunteer to be on any committees – yes I will help out if needed but I will not volunteer to coordinate or organize anything.

2. I will only go to events to enjoy, and will not volunteer to organize or help organize

3. I do not need to be at every assembly the school puts one

This doesn’t mean that I have to give up everything. I just need to pick a few things that I think are important and stick to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment