Monday, December 14, 2009

My Sympathy

This weekend brought some sad news to us.  My father's aunt passed away Saturday afternoon from a car accident.  I was not particular close to her.  In fact, most of what I know about her life, I heard from my parents.  She was a widow out of the barbaric Khmer Rouge rule.  She is survived by 6 children and numerous grandchildren, the youngest being under 1 year old.  She's also survived by 1 great-grandson who is less than 1 year old as well.  

Although I saw her maybe once a year, I know that she is almost always present at special family occasions.  She was there for the occasions were very important to me - both of my weddings, and the 1-month celebration for Michael.

I know that we were able to come to the United States because she was our sponsor.  I know that we lived with her for a short period of time in Washington until my parents were able to get on their feet in a new country. For this, I am very thankful for.

I know that every year, her children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, great nieces and nephews gather to celebrate her birthday in August.  I don't remember when this tradition started, but it must have been at least 7 years ago.  This has grown to become our version of a family reunion.   Unfortunately, I was not able to attend the last 3 years when we were living in Texas, but I was honestly looking forward to finally able to go to this year's celebration.

I know that she is loved by many and will be missed by many.  To them, I send me deepest sympathy for their loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment